Skip to content

Potential Holiday Dangers for our Dogs

The Holidays are an extremely joyful time for us and our fur-family members! Our dogs enjoy the extra excitement and the frisky weather just as much as we do this...

The Holidays are an extremely joyful time for us and our fur-family members! Our dogs enjoy the extra excitement and the frisky weather just as much as we do this time of the year! But be mindful of some of the potential hazards to keep them safe this holiday season! Read the following recommendations so you can be on the lookout these next couple weeks:

  • CHRISTMAS TREES: Although natural and beautiful take caution around the tree and your pet when unattended. Secure your tree so that it cannot fall on your fur-baby if it accidentally gets knocked over when they get “The Zoomies”. Also take care to ensure they cannot drink the tree water. Sometimes this water can contain fertilizers and chemicals that could cause illness – something we don’t want to have to pay an emergency fee over the holidays to treat!
  • EXCESS WIRES: With all of the beautiful lights we use to decorate with, also comes some dangerous chew toys for our pups. Try to unplug all extension cords when not watching your dog friend because a playful chew on these electrical wires could cause quite the shock.
  • CANDLES: Secure all lit candles so that no paws are burnt nor able to reach them and cause a fire in the house.
  • PRESENTS: Santa knows better than to leave scrumptious treats underneath the tree. Be careful not to leave wrapped goodies in reach of your pets. Dog’s keen sense of smell will cause them to unwrap those yummy gifts long before Christmas day!
  • HOLIDAY PLANTS: Our beautiful holiday plants are a joy to smell and admire however keep them out of reach of our little chewer’s mouths. Mistletoe and Holly plants can cause dangerous heart and intestinal issues. Poinsettias, although thought to be very toxic, actually only cause a milder GI irritation.
  • DECORATIONS: Provide plenty of toys from Santa Paws for your pups to chew on to deter them from gnawing on Christmas decorations. Ornaments, tinsel, toy soldiers, wires etc have the potential to cause a blockage in the intestines and require surgery to be removed! Put your money towards gifts this Holiday, not surgeries!
  • TABLE SCRAPS: Food is not always love! (Some dogs would probably disagree…) Many holiday foods are too rich, too sweet, or too spicy and can do quite a number on those little canine tummies including causing vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis. Skip the human food and gift them dog treats (or REPLENISH) instead.
  • ALCOHOL: Dog years do not count for the minimum drinking age of 21. Avoid letting your dog get a sip of your adult beverage as it can cause severe weakness, respiratory depression, and even a coma at high doses.
  • MEDICATIONS: As some medications may be needed to get through the holidays, make sure to put up all medications out of your dog’s reach. Especially important to remind house guests that might not be used to our curious little creatures rummaging through their bags, to put up and away all medications while staying at your house.

As much as you can try to prevent dangerous situations, accidents always happen. If you are concerned your dog is sick or injured please call your local veterinarian or emergency center for further consultation. If there is an incident of a toxin ingestion, the ASPCA Poison control veterinarians are always available to take your call at 1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435).


Your cart is currently empty.

Start Shopping

Select options